Translate

Saturday, June 8, 2013

NO ONE BELIEVES THE RISK -- THE GRIM REALITY OF SURVIVING ABUSE

JACQUE WALLER - RIP


I'm glad this disgusting despicable excuse for a man (see link below) accepted a plea deal in return for giving up the location of his estranged wife's dead body -- for her family's sake.  Juries are so unpredictable these days; at least he's locked up for now and he was forced to allocute to the world that he murdered this beautiful young mother, fully aware that his actions could cause her death.  I'm struck with immeasurable sadness that her triplets lost not only their mother, but also, essentially, their father on that tragic day.  The family will all remain in my thoughts and prayers.

As I read this sentence (see below) from Jacque's father, I could not help but wonder why no one ever believes abuse survivors when we say our abusers will kill us.  Before my ex tried to kill me, no one believed that was an actual possibility.  Everyone thought I was exaggerating.  Then, he tried to kill me -- and yet, very few people believe me that the risk still exists now should he discover my location.  The Florida divorce judge didn't believe me when she ordered me to disclose my home and work address.  Today,when I say the risk still exists, I'm mocked, derided, called "overly dramatic" or "mentally ill" -- sometimes even by other abuse survivors.  Why?
"Rawson said at the news conference that he and other family members knew Jacque Waller feared her estranged husband, and that she had told them Clay Waller would kill her, but they didn't believe it would happen."  http://www.semissourian.com/story/1976164.html
Abusers are extremely dangerous and, yes, even more deadly than cancer or war.  How many more lives will be lost before society believes?  How many more headlines will it take?

Are we only believable AFTER we're killed?  How about believing us BEFORE -- when something can still be done to help?


1 comment:

  1. It's another very sad story....one that never ends.

    ReplyDelete